Active Adult Community CheckList
|Active Adult Community Location:
- What is the name of the closest town or city surrounding the community?
- What is the current population in the area?
- What are the traffic conditions like in the area?
- Describe the feel of the town? Run down? Vibrant?
- What is the town’s predominant character?
- Tourist ___
- Historic ___
- College ___
- Resort ___
- Other ____
- What is the year-round climate like in the area?
- Distance to the nearest major airport?
- What is the crime rate in the area? Statistical source: www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
- What is the terrain like in the area? Hilly___ Flat ___ Mountaineous ___ Beach ___
- Does the area have the potential for natural disasters? Hurricanes? ____ Earthquakes? ____ Flooding? ____ Drought? ____ Others: _______
- Does the area have higher insurance premiums due to potential for natural disasters? If so, what type of additional insurance is required?
- Contact your insurance agent to find out if there will be an increase in your other types of insurance? Car? _____ Home? ______ Medical? _______
- What is the main industry in the area?
- Would there be adequate full or part-time work in the area if needed?
- What is the state’s tax rate for property, income, inheritance, state and local? Notes:
- Is there an age restriction for living in the community? If yes, what age?
- How old is the community?
- If incomplete, when is the expected completion date for the community?
- Is the community gated? If yes, is the entrance manned around the clock or electronically monitored?
- Are there sidewalks and streetlights within the community?
- What amenities are available:
- Golf ____
- Tennis ____
- Swimming Pool ____
- Indoor/Outdoor/Heated ____
- Shuffleboard ____
- Marina ____
- Bowling Alley ____
- Theatre ____
- Beach ____
- Walking Trails ____
- Garden ____
- Ballroom ____
- Library ____
- Computer Lab ____
- Exercise Equipment ____
- Card Room ____
- Spa ____
- Other ______________
- Are there attractive common grounds?
- Is there a dedicated director for activities?
- Ask for a copy of the last several months activities. Attach.
- What type of social clubs are offered?
- Book? _____
- Card? _____
- Religious? _____
- Sports? _____
- Travel? ______
- Social? ______
- Other: _________
- What is the community policy on having guests?
- Is there an age or time restriction in place?
- Are grandchildren welcome?
- Is there a convenient place of worship nearby? Get the name and web site, if available.
- Are there any rules regarding pet ownership?
- Is there any type of fencing on the property allowed?
- Does the community offer additional storage site for RVs, boats, or other items of that nature? If so, at what expense?
- Are there conveniences available on site for an additional fee:
- Banking? _____
- Dry Cleaning? _____
- Beauty salon? _____
- Other: _____
- Is there a restaurant on site? Is the menu selection and meal cost acceptable?
- Does the surrounding community have a variety of restaurants and places of entertainment available?
- How much are the homeowners fees and what do they cover?
- Who provides garbage pickup? ____________________________________________________
- Cable? ________________________________________________________________________
- Sewage treatment? _____________________________________________________________
- Police and fire protection? ________________________________________________________
- Broadband Services? _____________________________________________________________
- Electricity? _____________________________________________________________________
- Request to see the homeowners and amenities fees for the last five years to determine what type of increases might be expected in the near future? Attach.
- Who owns the amenities: Residents? Private group? Developer?
- Who is responsible for amenity upkeep?
- Is the community located within a flood zone? Has there ever been a flood to community property?
Useful sources for area environmental concerns:
- Does the community have adequate insurance to cover structural and property loss due to unforseen disasters?
- If there is a community-owned lake, who will be responsible for periodic lake maintenance?
- Are there nearby sources of:
- offensive noises? ___
- Pollution? ___
- Busy streetways? ____
- Early hour grass cutting on golf course? _____
- Do all homes within the community, regardless of price, share the same amenities?
- Ask for a copy of the Covenants, conditions, and restrictions that govern the master-pllanned community.
- Check the plat map. Attach.
- Is the staff personable with the residents? Do you get the feel of a friendly, happy environment?
- If unable to drive, is there a shuttle or public transportation available to the community?
- Is the political, religious, and cultural environment compatible with your own?
- What’s the average age of the residents within the community?
- Where are the majority of the residents from?
- Do you share similar income, educational, and professional backgrounds with the majority of the community?
- Does the community or nearby area offer cultural interests such as theatre, art, ballet, museums?
- Is there a nearby university where you can take classes, if interested?
- What type of medical facilities are in the area? How far to the nearest top-rated trauma hospital?
- Does your health insurance cover a variety of doctors and specialists in the area?
- Get the names of and references, if possible, for a family doctor and any specialists you might use.
- Is the community architecture aesthetically pleasing?
- Do the homes appear to be well landscaped and maintained?
- Is yard maintenance covered in association dues?
- Is there a variety of home styles within the community?
- What is the typical construction type of the homes?
- What is the price range of homes within the community?
- What type of home is available within your available price range?
- What is the price range of lots within the community?
- What is the average age of the homes within the community?
- Does the interior of the home appear to be well laid out?
- Is the washer/dryer located in an easily-accessible location within the house?
- Is the shower/tub senior friendly and the storage cabinets and other appliances within easy reach?
- Who is the builder/developer in the community?
- What other communities has this builder been involved with? Ask for references.
- Do the standard appliances and features of the home appear to be of good quality?
- Speak to several residents about the quality of the construction of their home. Get names and phone numbers or email addresses, if possible. Attach.
- What has been the average resale value of the homes to date?
- What has been the average amount of time a house remains on the market before resale?
- If you are interested in having a housekeeper, is there someone available to the community to come in and clean and/or cook in your home?
- Does the community offer basement options?
- Can you build a swimming pool or extended deck or sunroom on your property if you choose to?
- Do the homes come equipped with an emergency response button?
- Are there homes for rent should you want to live within the community before deciding to buy?
- Notes: ______________________________________________________
Comments Off on Checklist